Former British No 1 tennis player, Elena Baltacha died on 4 May 2014 due to liver cancer at the age of 30. She was diagnosed of liver cancer in January 2014.
She fell ill, just two months after her retirement from the sports. Elena retired from tennis in November 2013.
Elena Baltacha in Tennis
• Earlier, she represented Britain at the 2012 London Olympics.
• In 2010, she got her best ranking 49
• She reached to the third round at the Grand Slam tournaments for three times namely
a) At Wimbledon in 2002
b) The Australian Open in 2005 and 2010
• She began her professional career in 1997 and won 11 single titles
• Between 2009 and 2012, she remained British number one for 132 weeks
• In 2010, she instituted Elena Baltacha Academy of Tennis to help children from all backgrounds to learn and play tennis
Before her death, she announced to come up with a tennis charity event in June 2014 named Rally Against Cancer-Rally for Bally to raise money for a cancer hospital (Royal Marsden Cancer Charity) and her tennis academy. The event which will be held on 15 June 2014 as per the plan and will be participated by
• Wimbledon champion Andy Murray
• Martina Navratilova
• Tim Henman
When: 4 May 2014
Why: due to Liver Cancer