Endowed fellowship established at Caltech in honour of Satish Dhawan
Department of Space has established an endowed fellowship in honour of Prof. Satish Dhawan at the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories of the Caltech in the US.
Department of Space in Month of June 2013 has established an endowed fellowship in honour of Prof. Satish Dhawan at the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in the US.
It is worth mentioning here that Satish Dhawan, was the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation during its formative period 1972-1984.
About Satish Dhawan
• Satish Dhawan was an alumnus of the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories at Caltech who received his PhD in aerospace in 1951.
• He served as a eminent visiting Professor during 1971-72 at Caltech, immediately preceding his assumption of the Chairmanship of ISRO in 1972.
• He was a visionary leader of ISRO and an internationally recognised researcher and a legendary teacher.
• He was bestowed with the Distinguished Alumni Award by Caltech in 1969, which is considered to be the highest alumnus honour.
• He was awarded Padma Vibhushan by Government of India in year 1981.
About the Fellowship
The fellowship starts from the winter session of the academic year 2013-14 and gives an excellent opportunity every year to one commendable graduating student from the Aerospace Department of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram to be sponsored by the Department of Space, to pursue Masters in Aerospace Engineering at California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in the US.