Environment Ministry launches environment awareness initiative, Prakriti Khoj, on Teachers’ Day
This quiz will provide a unique platform for students to measure their awareness level regarding environmental issues.
The Union Environment Ministry on 5 September 2017 launched an environment awareness initiative on the occasion of Teachers’ Day.
Under the initiative, an online environmental quiz competition named Prakriti Khoj will be conducted at the national level.
The Prakriti Khoj will be an ideal medium to reach out to young minds through a fun-filled interactive learning mode to trigger their sensitivity towards environment protection and conservation. This quiz will provide a unique platform for students to measure their awareness level regarding environmental issues.
• As per the ministry, the objective of the quiz is to generate interest among school children about the science related to environment.
• The quiz will help in sensitizing the children on the issues related to environment and development.
• The initiative is to motivate children towards environment conservation-oriented lifestyles.
• The initiative will also trigger their sensitivity towards nature appreciation and conservation, leading to positive environmental actions at different levels.
• The quiz is planned in two phases.
• For the first phase, it is envisaged that maximum number of children of schools under the National Green Corps (NGC) programme of the Ministry should get an opportunity to participate in this environmental quiz. Three age groups is planned to be covered in Phase-I, which will be open only to Eco-clubs i.e. in the age-groups 8-12 years, 13-15 years and 16-18 years. After this, based on the feedback received from the participants, the second phase of the quiz will be open to students from all schools across the country in the year 2018.
• The mode of quiz will be online through multiple choice questions. Thematic areas like climate change, biodiversity, forest and wildlife, pollution, waste management, rivers and lakes, natural history, international conventions such as Convention on Biological Diversity, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification, Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora etc. have been chosen for the quiz.
• A separate web portal, www.ngc.nic.in, containing information on the quiz has been developed by Ministry.
• Dates of the quiz will be updated on the Prakriti Khoj portal, as well as the Ministry’s website.
• The students from Eco-clubs specially registered on the portal will be able to participate in the qualification round from 18 September 2017 onwards.
• Quiz will be organized in school premises under the supervision of Principals/Eco-club Coordinators.
• There will be cash prizes for the winners. In addition, all participants will receive an E-certificate of participation, duly signed by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.