Fifteenth IAAF World Championships in Athletics concluded in Beijing
While Kenya topped the medal table with 16 medals, Jamaica stood second with 12 medals.
Fifteenth IAAF World Championships in Athletics was held between 22 August and 30 August 2015 at the Beijing’s National Stadium in China.
While Kenya topped the medal table with 16 medals, Jamaica stood second with 12 medals. India could not win a single medal in the championships.
Highlights of Fifteenth World Athletics Championships
• Kenya was at the top with overall 16 medals including 7 gold, 6 silver and 3 bronze medals. Vivian Jepkemoi Cheruiyot (women’s 1000m), Ezekiel Kemboi (men’s 3000m steeplechase), Nicholas Bett (men’s 400m hurdles), David Lekuta Rudisha (men’s 800m), Julius Yegom (men’s Javelin throw), Hyvin Kiyeng Jepkemoi (women’s 3000m steeplechase) and Asbel Kiprop ( men’s 1500m) were the gold medalists.
• Jamaica was at the second position by winning 12 medals including 7 gold, 2 silver and 3 bronze medals. Usain Bolt won 3 golds by winning 100m and 200m events and by being part of 4*400m relay. Jamaica won gold medals in 4*100m relay (men and women) and women 4*400m relay. Men 4*400m relay was won by the USA.
• The USA was at the third position with 18 medals overall including 6 medals in each category.
• The United Kingdom won 7 medals including 4 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze medals.
• Ethiopia stood at the fifth position by winning 3 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze.
About IAAF World Championships in Athletics
• It is a biannual event organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
• It is the most prestigious event in the realm of athletics at the global level.
• Till now, 15 championships took place beginning from the inaugural event in 1983.
• On an average, around 200 countries participate in the event.
• The 15th edition of the championships took place at the Bird’s Nest Stadium in the Chinese capital Beijing. 207 countries took part in it.
• The USA, Russia, Kenya, Germany and Jamaica are in the top five places (in the same order) in terms of overall medal tally in the championships.
• Till now, India won only 2 medals in the championships. Both were won by long jumper Anju Bobby George who won bronze in the 2003 championships held in Paris and gold medal in the 2005 championships held in Montecarlo, Monaco.
• While the 14th edition (2013) was held in the Russian capital Moscow, the 16th edition (2017) will be hosted by London.
Fifteenth World Championships Medal Table