Pulgaon Ammunition Depot: Located 110 km from Nagpur, it is the largest ammunition centre in India
A massive fire broke out at the Central Ammunition Depot (CAD), Pulgaon, Maharashtra on 31 May 2016. This has led to an extraordinary number of deaths and injuries to army personnel.
The Pulgaon depot is located at 110 km from Nagpur and is the largest ammunition hub in India.
About Central Ammunition Depot (CAD), Pulgaon
• Pulgaon depot holds immense strategic significance for the army given its size and quality of ammunitions.
• The depot is spread over an area of more than 7000 acres.
• The CAD comes directly under the Indian Army headquarters and is responsible for the all-India supply of ammunition and explosives, after receiving them from Ordnance factories.
• Stocks of bombs, grenades, shells, assorted rifles and other explosives from various factories come here first and then distributed to various forward areas.
• It recently got an award for using solar energy for disposing expired ammunition.
• It was for the first time in the history of this depot that such fatalities has occurred. On two occasions in the past, major fires were recorded in 1980 and 2004. However, there was no loss of life.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Engulfed in fire
When: 31 May 2016