Fordow Nuclear Facility: Iran to start injecting uranium gas, another break from nuclear deal
Fordow Nuclear Facility is an underground Iranian uranium enrichment centre located 32 km of the Iranian city of Qom.
The president of Iran Hassan Rouhani announced on November 5 that they will start injecting uranium gas into 1,044 centrifuges. Rouhani said that the entire process will be carried in a phased manner and will be filled with uranium gas. Iran’s president announced that first uranium gas injection will be taken place in Fordow nuclear facility. However, it was not mentioned whether the centrifuges, which are at its nuclear facility in Fordow, would be used to produce enriched uranium.
Iran had shut down the Fordow nuclear plant last year accepting the condition to stop all kinds of Uranium enrichment. Iran has started reversing its commitments step-by-step since May this year, after announcing its withdrawal from the US nuclear agreement. Hassan Rouhani announced that Iran had informed the IAEA over the start of injecting UF6 (uranium hexafluoride) into centrifuges at Fordow nuclear facility.
Fordow Nuclear Facility
Fordow Nuclear Facility is an underground Iranian uranium enrichment centre located 32 km of the Iranian city of Qom. Iran had initially declared that Fordow nuclear facility has about 3000 centrifuges. This nuclear plant was disclosed to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on September 21, 2009. Iran stated in its earlier declaration that the purpose of Fordow Nuclear Facility was to the production of UF6 enriched up to 5 per cent of U-235. In January 2012, IAEA found that Iran had started producing uranium enriched up to 20 per cent.
What is US-Iran Nuclear Deal?
• The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) between Iran, USA, France, UK, Germany, China and EU is known as US-Iran nuclear deal.
• It was signed between Iran and other partners on July 14, 2015. Iran was agreed not to build any more heavy water facilities.
• Iran also agreed to eliminate its stockpile of medium-enriched uranium and low enriched uranium.
• It was also decided between all the partners that Iran will convert its nuclear plants into non-nuclear facilities.
Why US pulled out of deal?
• US President Donald Trump believes that the deal doesn’t cover Iran’s ballistic missile programme.
• Donald Trump also said that this was the one-sided deal and could not bring peace and harmony in the region.
• However, other global powers like China, Germany, France, UK and EU are still committed to the agreement.