Former Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Deputy Chief Minister Mangat Ram Sharma passed away on 3 November 2016 following a prolonged illness. He was 85. He is survived by six sons.
He played an important role in cooperative movement in the state and successfully headed the Kathua district cooperative society for some years before he became a member of the legislative council.
About Mangat Ram Sharma
• Six times member of the State Legislature, he had also been elected to the Lok Sabha once from the Jammu-Poonch parliamentary constituency.
• He also served as speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly.
• He served as Deputy Chief Minister in the Mufti Mohammad Sayeed led PDP-Congress coalition government.
• He served as Health Minister of the State in 2006 when Ghulam Nabi Azad took over as Chief Minister of J&K.
• He also held important positions in the Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.