Taiwan’s Foxconn Technology Group on 30 March 2016 announced that it will acquire Japan’s Sharp Corporation for 3.5 billion US dollars.
The deal, for a 66 percent stake in Sharp, is intended to make Foxconn a more attractive partner for Apple Inc.
The American technology company uses Sharp screens, which could give Foxconn added leverage in dealings between the two.
About Foxconn Technology Group
• It is formally known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd.
• It is a Taiwanese multinational electronics contract manufacturing company headquartered in Tucheng, New Taipei
• It is the world's largest electronics contractor manufacturer and the third-largest information technology company by revenue.
• It is primarily a contract manufacturer and its clients include major Chinese, American, Finnish, Japanese, and Canadian electronics and information technology companies.
• Notable products that the company manufactures include the BlackBerry, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Nokia and Wii U.
About Sharp Corporation
• It is a Japanese multinational corporation that designs and manufactures electronic products.
• It was founded in September 1912 and takes its name from one of its founder’s first inventions, the Ever-Sharp mechanical pencil, which was invented by Tokuji Hayakawa in 1915.
• As of 2013, Sharp Corporation is the tenth-largest television manufacturer in the world by market share.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sharp Corporation