Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on 11 September 2017 launched ‘FoSCoRIS’, an online platform to bring in transparency in food safety inspection and sampling.
FoSCoRIS platform will help eliminate discrepancy and will make food safety officers accountable for their inspection.
Highlights of the FoSCoRIS Platform
• FoSCoRIS system will help in verifying compliance of food safety and hygiene standards by food businesses as per the government norms.
• It will bring together all key stakeholders including food businesses, food safety officers, designated officers, state food safety commissioners.
• It will help in sharing data related to inspection, sampling and test result by all officials seamlessly.
• It will ease the process of sample collection by making it transparent and traceable and by controlling the quality of compliances.
• For using this platform, Food Safety Officers (FSOs) require a hand-held device with internet connectivity.
• For this purpose, FSSAI has asked all the states to provide such devices to FSOs and appoint a nodal officer for this purpose and send the details of the officers for integrating them with FoSCoRIS.
• In the initial phase, FSSAI will bear the cost of rental plans of the hand-held devices for first three months to a maximum of Rs 500 per month per connection to first ten states and UTs.
FSSAI is a nodal agency responsible for protecting and promoting public health in India through regulation and supervision of food safety. It was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.