Girish Sahni assumed charge as Director General of CSIR
Additionally, Sahni will also serve as Secretary, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
Girish Sahni on 26 August 2015 assumed charge as the Director General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) with effect from the 24 August 2015. Additionally, Sahni will also serve as Secretary, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
Previously, Sahni had been the Director of CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (CSIR-IMTECH), Chandigarh.
Born on 2 March 1956, Sahni specializes in Protein Engineering, Molecular Biology, and Biotechnology. He is internationally recognized for his research contributions. He is Fellow of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi; Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore, and NASI, Allahabad.
About Girish Sahni
• Sahni has contributed significantly in the area of protein cardiovascular drugs especially clot busters and their mode of action in the human body.
• The team led by him is responsible for producing technology for India’s first indigenous clot bluster drug, natural streptokinase (under brand name STPase marketed by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Ahmedabad).
• His team has also developed a novel life-saver thrombolytic drug (Clot-specific streptokinase), India’s first bio-therapeutic molecule which is not a Biosimilar. This drug has been patented worldwide.
• Recently, the team led by him developed fourth-generation Anti-thrombotic clot busters, the first of its kind in the world.
• He has received many awards for his contributions including National Biotechnology Product Development Award 2002, CSIR Technology Shield 2001-2002, The Vasvik Industrial Award 2000, Ranbaxy Award in Pharmaceutical Sciences 2003 and Vigyan Rattan Award 2014.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App