Goa will host the fifth Youth Delphic Games in February 2016. The announcement was made in June 2015. The motto of the 2016 Games is Celebrating Arts and Cultures.
Started a 100 years after the modern edition of the Olympics, the youth edition of the Delphic Games will be hosted in India for the first time from 1 February to 14 February 2016 in Goa.
The Youth Delphic Games are held at every four years and invites participants of the age group of 15 to 25 years. The games will include competitions in six categories:
• Musical arts and sounds (singing, instrumental music, electronic sounds)
• Performing arts (dance, theatre, circus, puppetry)
• Language arts (literature, poetry, moderation)
• Visual arts (painting, graphics, sculpture, installation, fashion, photography)
• Social arts (communications, Internet, media, pedagogic, didactic)
• Ecological arts & architecture (urban planning, landscaping, preservation and conservation of nature, monuments)
The games will attract 125 countries with over 7000 participants for the 2016 Games.
About Youth Delphic Games
The Delphic Games, touted as the twin sister of Olympics, came into being over 1000 years ago in Delphi, Greece to praise the gods and honour peace. However, the games were banned in 394 AD due to wars and conflicts.
But later, the International Delphic Council (IDC) founded in 1994, revived the Games. The Delphic Games is a cultural movement that brings different cultures on a unified global platform and creates a window of opportunity to express, explore and imbibe new ideas.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.