Search Engine Google on 13 January 2015 launched its Flight Search Tool in India. The tool allows you to search directly for flights within Google to quickly find, compare and book flights from your mobile device, tablet or desktop.
The Google Flight Search Tool redirects users to the concerned airline’s booking page which cuts out the expense paid to the travel agents.
Google's venture into flight search dates back to 2010, when it acquired Massachusetts-based flight information software company ITA software for 700 million US dollars.
Flight search tool of Google was initially launched in the US and then in parts of Europe.
About the Google's Flight Search Tool
• The flight search gives options to search for round trip, one way and multi-city flights.
• It also allows users to use the lowest fares graph below the calendar to see how prices may fluctuate based on the season, holidays or other events.
• After selecting the departure and return dates, users get a list of Best flights which shortlists flights based on the best combination of convenience and price.
• The tool also lets users to view other flights by scrolling through the summary list or selecting Show longer or more expensive flights.
• Users can also save itineraries or share them with others.
Impact of Google's flight search tool on online travel agencies
Google's flight search tool competes with other top online travel agencies in India including Cleartrip.com, Makemytrip.com, Yatra.com, ezeego1.co.in and Goibibo.com. Google's presence in the travel space can reduce the traffic on their portals.
Moreover, airline websites are not optimised for mobile and this can lead to degradation of experience for people who book tickets on airline website.
Meanwhile, Goibibo has partnered with Google Flight Search to display results from its own portal along with options shown by Google search from airline websites.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.