Government approves constitution of new boards of Governors for IIMs
The Union Government has approved the process of constitution of new boards of Governors for 20 IIMs. The process is in accordance with the provisions of Section 10 of the IIM Act 2017. The Act is a historical step of the Government that for the first time provided comprehensive autonomy to the higher educational institutions.
The Union Government on November 12, 2018 approved the process of constitution of new boards of Governors for 20 IIMs as per the IIM Act 2017.
Speaking on the same, Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar said that the process of constitution of boards for the IIMs, which have been given full powers of running the institutions, is a major development which signals complete autonomy of quality institutions in higher education and will ensure a quality expansion of higher education.
• The approval for the constitution of the new boards for IIMs has been given in consultation with the Union Ministry of Law and Justice.
• The process is in accordance with the provisions of Section 10 of the IIM Act 2017. The IIM Act is a historical step of the Government that for the first time provided comprehensive autonomy to the higher educational institutions.
• In accordance with the spirit of the Act, Government has decided to immediately withdraw the Government nominees who are in excess of the provisions of the Act. This will pave way for complete control of the institutions by reputed academicians and alumni.
• The process of constitution of the first boards would begin with three Ex-officio members, who will select the Chairperson, who shall normally be the current Chairperson and would be given the full term under the new Act (except where there are issues of ineligibility).
• The Chairperson would then lead the further process of constitution of the boards as laid down under the Act.
• Thereafter, the board consisting of Chairperson and ex-officio members will co-opt five alumni from each of the IIMs, who will normally be the current serving members, except in cases of ineligibility.
In the first meeting of the board, the regulations for selection of four eminent persons and two faculty members would be framed and based on this, normally the current serving persons would be selected for a full term. This process is expected to be completed before December 15, 2018.
Once the new boards are constituted, the rules under the IIM Act would be issued, which would bring out the operational details more clearly.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS