Government sets up Strategic Policy Group to assist National Security Council
The Members of the SPG will include Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, Cabinet Secretary, Chiefs of the three defence services, RBI Governor, Foreign Secretary, Home Secretary, Finance Secretary, and Defence Secretary.
The Union Government on October 8, 2018 constituted the Strategic Policy Group, headed by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, to assist the National Security Council.
Members of the Strategic Policy Group
• The Members of the SPG will include Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, Cabinet Secretary, Chiefs of the three defence services, RBI Governor, Foreign Secretary, Home Secretary, Finance Secretary, and Defence Secretary.
• The Secretary of the Department of Defence Production and Supplies; the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister and the Secretary (R), Cabinet Secretariat will also be members of the panel.
• The other members are Secretary of Department of Revenue; Secretary of Department of Atomic Energy; Secretary of Department of Space; Director of Intelligence Bureau; and Secretary of National Security Council Secretariat.
• Representatives of other ministries and departments will be invited to the meetings of the group as and when necessary.
What is National Security Council?
The National Security Council is an executive government agency tasked with advising the Prime Minister's Office on matters of national security and strategic interest.
The agency was established by the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Government on November 19, 1998, with Brajesh Mishra as the first National Security Advisor.
Terms of Reference of the Strategic Policy Group
• The Strategic Policy Group (SPG) will assist the National Security Council and undertake among other tasks, a long-term strategic review of country's security affairs.
• It will act as a principal mechanism for inter-ministerial coordination and integration of relevant inputs in the formulation of national security policies.
• The National Security Advisor will convene the meetings of the SPG and the cabinet secretary will coordinate implementation of the group's decisions by Union Ministries and Departments, and State Governments.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week