Great Britain defeated Belgium to win 2015 Davis Cup tennis title
Davis Cup is the premier international team event in men's tennis and considered as the world cup of tennis.
Great Britain on 29 November 2015 won the 2015 Davis Cup tennis title by defeating Belgium 3-1 at Ghent in Belgium.
While Leon Smith was the captain of the winning team, Andy Murray played a crucial role in the victory as he beat Belgium's David Goffin to clinch the decisive point.
Murray beat Goffin by 6-3 7-5 6-3 to give Great Britain 3-1 lead in the best-of-five tie.
With this win, Murray joined John McEnroe and Mats Wilander as the only men to have an 8-0 singles record in a Davis Cup year.
For Great Britain, it was the first title since 1936 which was won by defeating Australia. Overall, it was the tenth title for the team in the competition’s 116-year history.
About Davis Cup
• It is the premier international team event in men's tennis and considered as the world cup of tennis.
• It is run by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and is contested annually between teams from competing countries in a knock-out format.
• It began in 1900 as a challenge between Great Britain and the United States.
• The women's equivalent of the Davis Cup is the Fed Cup.
• So far, Australia, the Czech Republic and the United States are the only countries to have held both Davis Cup and Fed Cup titles in the same year.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS