Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Nitinbhai Patel, who also holds the Finance portfolio, on 21 February 2017 presented the State’s annual budget for 2017-18 in the legislative assembly.
It was the first budget presentation for the Vijay Rupani-led government, which came into the power on 7 August 2016.
Highlights of Budget 2017-18
• The total size of the revenue surplus budget is Rs 1,72,179.24 crore, which is Rs 20, 327.31 crore more than the budget 2016-17.
• For the FY 2017-18, total revenue expenditure is estimated at Rs 1,25,455.63 crore and the capital expenditure is estimated at Rs 45,376.34 crore.
• The revenue receipts are estimated at Rs 1,31,521.23 crore and the capital receipts are estimated at Rs 33,974.90 crore.
• The Goods and Services Tax (GST) will be rolled out on 1 July 2017.
• Payment of taxes exceeding Rs 10,000 will have to be paid through e-payment mode only.
• The State government will provide bicycles to 45,000 female students of class IX under the Vidya Sadhna Yojana (VSY).
• About 3.5 lakh tablets will be provided to first year college students at subsidized prices to encourage e-learning.
• An independent State Food Commission (SFC) will be set up to monitor the functioning of the Food Security Act, 2013.
• A new corporation will be set up for undertaking welfare measures related to differently-abled persons (Divyangs).
• To reduce the dropout ratio in schools, free uniform and textbooks will be provided to over 60 lakh students.
• An exclusive university will be set up to undertake studies and research related to tribal issues. The university will be established in Narmada District.
• To improve the viability of agriculture sector, the government has allocated Rs 4,011 crore for power subsidies.
• Allocation of Rs 5,100 crore has made to take Narmada water to the drought-prone Kutch region.
• Nitinbhai Patel has allocated Rs 1340 crore for construction of 1 lakh affordable houses in urban areas.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.