Chat application Hike messenger on 8 January 2015 acquired US-based free voice-calling company Zip Phone to launch free voice calling. However, the details of acquisition were not disclosed.
The acquisition is aimed at expanding product range of Hike Messenger in the internet-based communication space. Zip Phone’s technology will allow Hike to introduce free voice calling to the market much faster, which is one of the top requested features from the users.
• Zip Phone was founded in 2014 by Anuj Jain in the United States. The company has developed a voice calling app which works globally.
• The company was also part of the revered Y Combinator list Summer Batch (2014).
• Launched in December 2012 by Kavin Bharti Mittal, Hike Messenger has over 35 million users and has raised 86 million US dollars.
• Competing with the apps like WhatsApp, LINE and Viber, the app Hike has a user base with over 90 percent of its users being under the age of 25 and residing in India.
• The chat application has localised feature Hike Offline which lets you message your friends even when they are offline.
Who: Hike Messenger
What: acquired Zip phone
When: 8 January 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.