Sunday Times Super-Rich List released on 11 May 2014 ranked London-based Hinduja Brothers as the richest in UK. The two brothers, Srichand and Gopichand Hinduja topped the list having a fortune of 11.9 billion pounds, which is up by 1.3 billion pounds of 2013.
To emerge at the top position, the Hinduja Brothers edged steel-tycoon Lakshmi Mittal and Russian Alisher Usmanov.
Apart from this Lakshmi Mittal, the owner of Arcelor Mittal also edged one position upwards to the third position with 10.25 billion pounds. Whereas, Usmanov who topped the list till 2013 fell to second place after his estimated fortune dropped to 10.65 billion dollars.
In the earlier release of Super-Rich list, the Hinduja Brothers who run the Hinduja Group conglomerate were placed at the third position in 2013. The Hinduja Group conglomerate is a multinational company that works in diverse fields like automotive, real estate and oil and others. It is in headquartered in London, United Kingdom.
Apart from this, the study also claimed that number of billionaires in the UK for the first time has exceeded 100 and London is now a home to highest number of super-rich of any city in the world. At present in a total there are 104 billionaires based in Britain with a combined wealth of more than 301 billion pounds. The list claimed that the number has tripled in a decade.
Among the richest Britons, the list was topped by Duke of Westminster whose fortune rose to 8.5 billion pounds.
Top 25 people, whose names were released includes
• Sri and Gopi Hinduja, 11.9 billion pound, up by 1.3 billion pound
• Alisher Usmanov, 10.65 billion pound, down by 2.65 billion pound
• Lakshmi Mittal and family, 10.25 billion pound, up by 250 million pound
• Len Blavatnik, 10 billion pound, down by 1 billion pound
• Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli, 9.75 billion pound, up by 2.35 billion pound
• John Fredriksen and family, 9.25 billion pound, up by 450 million pound
• David and Simon Reuben, 9 billion pound, up by 719 million pound
• Kirsten and Jorn Rausing, 8.8 billion pound, up by 3.69 billion pound
• Roman Abramovich, 8.52 billion pound, down by 780 million pound
• The Duke of Westminster, 8.5 billion pound, up by 700 million pound
• Galen, Hilary and George Weston and family, 7.3 billion pound, up by 650 million pound
• Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho, 6.36 billion pound, down by 635 million pound
• Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family, 6.16 billion pound, up 1.65 billion pound
• Carrie and Francois Perrodo and family, 6.14 billion pound, new entrant in the list
• German Khan, 6.08 billion pound, new entrant in the list
• Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, 6 billion pound, up by 3.65 billion pound
• Hans Rausing and family 5.9 billion pound, up by 1.18 billion pound
• Nicky Oppenheimer and family, 4.57 billion pound, up by 785 million pound
• Earl Cadogan and family, 4.2 billion pound, up by 525 million pound
• Joseph Lau and family, 4.03 billion pound, down by 570 million pound
• Sir Philip and Lady Green 3.88 billion pound, no change
• Denis O'Brien, 3.85 billion pound, up by 486 million pound
• Mike Ashley, 3.75 billion pound, up by 1.45 billion pound
• Sir Richard Branson and family, 3.6 billion pound, up by 86 million pound
• Idan Ofer, 3.43 billion pound, new entrant in the list
Who: Hinduja Brothers
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.