Actor Abe Vigoda, known for his work in The Godfather and on the television series Barney Miller, passed away on 26 January 2016 in New Jersey following natural causes. He was 94.
He was best known for his roles as mobster Tessio in the movie The Godfather.
About Abe Vigoda
• Born in New York, Vigoda made appearances in very early television episodes of Suspense and Studio One in Hollywood in 1949.
• He made his debut in the cinema through Marcel Carne’s 1965 effort Three Rooms in Manhattan, but he got his fame when he was cast in The Godfather in 1972.
• On the big screen, he appeared in the 1973 mob drama The Don Is Dead and 1974 crime drama Newman’s Law and he reprised his role as Tessio in a flashback in The Godfather: Part II.
• In 1974, he was cast as the aged, malady-laden and slow-moving cop Phil Fish in TV series Barney Miller. His character was so popular that the network launched a spinoff, simply titled Fish in 1977.
• He also appeared as a guest on series including Hawaii Five-O, Kojak, The Bionic Woman, The Rockford Files and Eight Is Enough.
• He also remained a popular character actor in films including Cannonball Run II, Look Who's Talking, Joe Versus the Volcano and North.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App