The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) in Hyderabad clocked 10 million passengers in the financial year 2014-15. Bhanu Khannan who arrived at the airport from a Chennai bound flight emerged as the 10 millionth passenger at the airport.
This was informed through a press statement issued by the airport authorities on 19 March 2015. The press statement also mentioned the airport’s impressive growth in the passenger traffic and freight volumes.
During the 2014-15 financial year, the airport had witnessed a traffic growth of 20 percent over last financial year (2013-14) led by 22 percent growth in domestic passenger traffic and 15 percent growth in international traffic. The traffic growth numbers were higher than the average growth witnessed by other major Indian airports.
On the cargo front, the airport is well poised to reach the 100000 tonnes mark during the financial year 2014-15. The cargo facility at the airport was built with a capacity for 150000 tonnes per annum. While air freight volumes in India have grown at a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 7 percent, RGIA recorded a 15 percent growth in 2014-15.
About the RGIA Airport
• The airport was commissioned on 14 March 2008 and commercial operations began on 23 March 2008 with an initial capacity of 12 million passengers per annum (MPPA). It has the flexibility to increase capacity to accommodate over 40 MPPA. The Airport is designed to handle New Large Aircrafts (NLA), including the Airbus A380.
• The airport was build by the GMR group in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode. It is a joint venture promoted by the GMR Group (63%) in partnership with Government of India (13%), Government of Telangana (13%) and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (11%). It is the first Greenfield airport built by a private company in the country.
• 15 international and 5 domestic airlines operate from the airport that connect Hyderabad to over 16 international and 25 domestic destinations.
• The airport has been rated amongst the top three airports in the world in the 5-15 million passenger categories as per the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) survey conducted by Airports Council International (ACI) for 2014. RGIA has retained its position among the top three airports in its category for the 6th consecutive year.
• RGIA won two awards as Best Airport and Excellence in Airport Operation & Management at Aviation Awards 2014 during the India Aviation Show at Hyderabad on 13 March 2014.
When: 19 March 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.