Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Indian Council for Research on International Economic relations (ICRIER) on 14 July 2015 released a report titled An Inquiry into the Impact of India’s App Economy.
It provides a detailed analysis of the entire value chain of the App Economy in India, including importantly its impact on growth and employment.
Highlights of the Report
• The mobile application industry in India is forecast to grow to 1964 crore rupees by 2016 from 974 crore rupees in 2014
• The mobile application currently account for 75000 jobs in India as per the estimates for increase in employment between 2014 and 2016.
• It projected that employment in this industry will range between 1.51 lakh and 1.59 lakh by 2016.
• The aggregate number of jobs that apps could create in India during the period 2014-16 lies between 91476 and 604867.
• It follows from above point that, the multiplier effects could result in an increase in employment within the industry by up to 8 times during the period 2014 to 2016.
• If direct employment increases at a faster rate, the multiplier effects will result in massive benefits to overall employment in the economy.
• Moreover, there is also a demonstrated need for seed funding for entrepreneurs who are trying to break into the local market.
• Even though smartphone penetration in India was estimated at just 10 per cent of total mobile users, the country experienced 100 million downloads per month, placing it amongst the top five regions for Google Play, the official Android mobile app store.
• It highlights the need for skilled app developers to go beyond trouble-shooting and focus on developing improvements in user interfaces/user experiences (UI/UX) through enhanced design that also serves local needs.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Released by IAMAI-ICRIER
When: 14 July 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.