The Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) Bank on 2 January 2015 launched Digital Village Project in Akodara Village of Gujarat.
The project was launched in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and ICICI Bank MD and CEO Chanda Kochar.
The project aimed to provide services ranging from cashless banking to digitised school teaching. The digital village has three themes i.e. cashless, comprehensive and connected.
The project embarked the 60 year celebration of the ICICI group's existence since the erstwhile ICICI Ltd was set up in 1955.
Features of Project
• providing cash-less banking services to every villager.
• Banking was digitized in all offerings of bank ranging from opening an account to sale of goods to purchase of products including milk from the vendor or kirana stores.
• At the same time, the school records were digitized alongwith the Gujarat syllabus and even teaching methods and tools.
• The project aimed to ensure that all villagers must have access to all the required data and information in a digital format.
• The villagers will get SMS in Gujarati for their transactions and other digital services.
• Besides ATMs and other digital banking services, the bank has set up e-health, e-milk producer group, Wi-Fi connectivity and schools with digital black boards in the village, along with a host of other digital facilities.
Earlier, the village named Akodara in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat gained fame when the then CM of Gujarat Narendra Modi started Gujarat's first animal hostel in 2011.
The animal hostel is a concept conceived by Modi. Animal Hostel is a place where the cattle of the village are kept and maintained together and have all necessary infrastructure facilities to take care of them.
About ICICI Bank
The Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) was originally set up as an Indian financial institution at the initiative of the World Bank, the Government of India and representatives of Indian industry to provide project financing to Indian businesses. It later got merged with ICICI Bank, which was set up in 1994.
Who: ICICI Bank
Where: Akodara Village of Gujarat
When: 2 January 2015