India, Israel signed seven Agreements including National Campaign for Water Conservation in India
Praising Israel’s achievements in the field of water conservation and agriculture Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that Israel can support India in bringing about second green revolution.
India and Israel on 5 July 2017 signed seven agreements in different areas of mutual benefit including agriculture, technology and space. These agreements were signed in Tel Aviv during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel.
Narendra Modi, who was in Israel from 4 July to 6 July 2017, is the first Prime Minister of India to visit Israel in 70 years. His visit also marked 25 years of establishment of diplomatic relations between the two nations. The diplomatic relations between India and Israel was established in 1992, during Narasimha Rao government.
After this establishment of the diplomatic relations, the Israeli President and Prime Minister visited India more than a decade ago and those visits were reciprocated by the visits of President Pranab Mukherjee in 2015 and Prime Minister Modi in 2017.
List of MoUs/Agreements signed during the visit of Prime Minister to Israel
• MoU for setting up of India-Israel Industrial R&D and Technological Innovation Fund (I4F): It was signed between the Department of Science & Technology, India and National Technological Innovation Authority, Israel
• MoU on National Campaign for Water Conservation in India: It was signed between the Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and the Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources of the State of Israel.
• MoU on State Water Utility Reform in India: It was signed between UP Jal Nigam, Government of Uttar Pradesh and the Ministry of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources of the State of Israel.
• India-Israel Development Cooperation - Three Year Work Program in Agriculture 2018-2020
• Plan of Cooperation regarding cooperation in Atomic Clocks: It was signed between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA).
• MoU regarding cooperation in GEO-LEO Optical Link: It was signed between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA).
• MoU regarding cooperation in Electric Propulsion for Small Satellites: It was signed between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Israel Space Agency (ISA).
Besides, the two nations, namely India and Israel also elevated their ties to a strategic partnership as India identified Tel Aviv as a major development and technological partner.
Both nations agreed to combat growing radicalization and terrorism and expand co-operation in cyber security.
In addition, Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon the industrialists from Israel to come and invest in the defence sector as India has opened up and has now allowed 100 per cent FDI in this sector.
On the occasion of his visit to Israel, Prime Minister Modi addressed the Indian community and announced that India will soon start an air service from Delhi and Mumbai to Israel. India will also set up a cultural centre in Israel to give a boost to people to people contact between the two countries.
While addressing the Indian community in Israel, he also assured them that India will remove difficulties being faced by Jewish Citizens of Indian origin in Israel in getting the overseas citizen of India (OCI) card. He said the OCI card would now also be given to those people of Indian origin who served in the Israeli government's compulsory army service.