22 December: National Mathematics Day
India on 22 December 2014 celebrated National Mathematics Day. The day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of great Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
The declaration to observe 22 December as National Mathematics Day was made by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh on 26 February 2012 at Madras University on the occasion of 125th birth anniversary of Ramanujan.
It was also declared to observe year 2012 as the National Mathematics Year.
About Srinivasa Ramanujan
• Srinivasa Ramanujan was born on 22 December 1887 in Erode district of Tamil Nadu.
• He died on 26 April 1920
• Ramanujan did wonders in number theory, infinite series, mathematical analysis, and making formulas and equations.
• He compiled more than 3900 mathematical results and equations, and his discoveries namely Ramanujam Prime and Ramanujam theta inspired further research on the subject.
• He along with a British Mathematician Godfrey Harold Hardy discovered the smallest number represented as sum of two cubes 1729 which came to be known as Hardy-Ramanujan number.
• Ramanujan was said to be a natural genius, in the same league as mathematicians such as Euler and Gauss.
Where: across India
When: on 22 December 2014