India on 4 June 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the United States of America (USA) to facilitate hassle-free entry of Indians into America at selected airports. It will provide quick security clearances for pre-approved, low-risk travellers from India.
Features of the Agreement
• The Agreement was signed as a part of America’s International Expedited Traveller Initiative which is also known as the Global Entry Programme. India became the ninth country to sign the agreement with US.
• It was signed between India’s US Ambassador Arun K Singh and Kevin K McAleenan, deputy commissioner of US Customs and Border Protection..
• The agreement will have positive impact on all kinds of people-to-people exchange between the two countries as the programme at the US airports will enable further easing of travel environment for the approved travellers.
Global Entry Programme (GEP)
• As on 4 June 2016, GEP is available at more than 40 US airports and 12 pre-clearance locations.
• Approximately 50000 new applications for the programme are being filed every month and it already have more than 1.8 million people who are enrolled in Global Entry Programme.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App