India and Sri Lanka on 15 September 2015 exchanged four agreements in various fields including medicare facilities. The agreements were exchanged with an aim to ensure peace and stability in the region.
These agreements were exchanged during the visit of Prime Minister of Sri Lanka Ranil Wickremesinghe to India from 14 September to 16 September 2015.
The Four agreements exchanged between the two sides were
• Exchange of letters on orbit frequency coordination of satellite for SAARC region
• Exchange of MoU regarding supply of medical equipment to 200 bed ward complex at district hospital, Vavuniya
• Exchange of letters on establishment of emergency ambulance services in Sri Lanka
• Exchange of MoU regarding renewed India’s grant assistance for implementation of SDP
Besides, exchanging four agreements, the two sides also held talks on different issues like
• Fishermen issue - The two sides agreed that the fishermen associations on both sides should continue their efforts to find a solution to the issue. It should be seen as a humanitarian issue that affects livelihoods.
• Sri Lankan Tamil community – It was discussed that the Sri Lanka should achieve genuine reconciliation and development, so that all Sri Lankans, including the Sri Lankan Tamil community, can live a life of equality, justice, peace and dignity in a united Sri Lanka.
• Sri Lanka also called for cooperation in several sectors including trade, economics and technology.
• The two sides discussed the ways to combat terrorism and work together for security and stability in maritime neighbourhood.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 15 September 2015