Amament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) in the last week of December 2015 successfully test-fired Pinaka II multi barrel rocket launcher (MBRL) System.
The three-day long user assisted trials were conducted at Pokhran in Rajasthan.
Key features of Pinaka II MBRL System
• Pinaka is an unguided rocket system and capable of neutralising large areas with rapid salvos.
• Range of Pinaka II is 20 km more than the Pinaka I version, which has a 40 km range and has already been inducted into the forces.
• The system acts as a force-multiplier while supplementing the artillery guns of the armed forces.
• It is capable to incorporate several types of warheads, which make the weapon deadly for the enemy as it can even destroy solid structures and bunkers.
• The system proved its mettle during Kargil war while neutralising the mountain peaks off the enemy. They are developed at a very low cost vis-a-vis other such rocket systems in the world bestowed with shoot and scoot capabilities.
• The Pinaka MBRL System has been indigenously developed by the ARDE, Pune.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App