India This Week: 1 April-7 April 2013
India This week is helpful for those Students who are preparing for the competitive exams...
India This week is helpful for those Students who are preparing for the competitive exams. They can take help from this section in order to understand about the happenings in India in a better way.India this Week section enables the students to sneak a look into the national headlines. It helps you in promptly knowing about the important happenings from round the corner. Read this section in order to better analyse the happenings in India.
1 April 2013
• State-run GAIL (India) Ltd signed a deal of 2.3-million-tonne (mt) capacity in the Cove Point LNG liquefaction terminal project at Lusby in Maryland, US.
• Dr Reddy’s Laboratories appointed G.V. Prasad, the son-in-law of founder Anji Reddy, as the Chief Executive Officer of the company.
• Olive Crown Awards 2013 took place in Mumbai. Grey Worldwide was awarded with Agency of the year title.
2 April 2013
• The United Nations General Assembly had declared 2 April as the World Autism Awareness Day.
• Infosys signed a five-year agreement with a European Energy Trading House, RWE Supply & Trading (RWEST).
• The state government of Gujarat introduced a bill in the Gujarat assembly which Places restrictions on the primacy of the chief justice.
• The National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd signed three loan agreements worth 1870 crore Rupees to part finance its capital expenditure.
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) approved the proposal of the Ministry of Home Affairs for continuation of the Scheme for Special Infrastructure (SIS)
3 April 2013
• President appointed Justice Ajay Manikrao Khanwilkar as the Chief Justice of HP High Court in exercise of the powers conferred by Clause (1) of Article 217.
• SC issued notice to the Principal Health Secretaries of States and Union Territories on compliance of rules banning gutka sale and manufacture.
• The Annual Plan for the year 2013-14 for the state of Sikkim was finalized. The plan size was agreed at 2060 crore rupees.
4 April 2013
• NTPC and Ministry of Power signed MOU 2013-14. As per the MOU, NTPC shall strive to generate 242 BU during the year.
• The Tamil Nadu Water Investment Company made the project management agency on behalf of the Government for water treatment and recycling for industry.
• Narendra Kumar Verma was appointed as the new director of the state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp’s (ONGC) Exploration.
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs gave its approval for the four laning of the Jorhat-Demow section of National Highway-37 in the state of Assam.
• Union Minister of Law & Justice of India and Minister of Justice of Azerbaijan signed a Treaty on Legal and Judicial Cooperation
• The Odisha Legislative Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution requesting the Centre to award special category status to the state.
• The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting reconstituted the Central Press Accreditation Committee (CPAC)
5 April 2013
• CCEA decided to de-control sugar by doing away the levy-sugar mechanism on it. Govt. decision also dismantled the regulated release mechanism.
• SC ordered Central and State Governments to restrict use of red beacons by VIPs and to make harsh laws by amendments to punish the violators of traffic rules.
• NIA filed a chargesheet against Abu Jundal in the Patiala House Court of New Delhi and accused him for recruiting people to join LeT, the terror outfit.
• S Gopalakrishnan, the co-founder and Executive Co-Chairman of Infosys, on 5 April 2013 was elected as the President of the industry body (CII) for the year 2013-14.
6 April 2013
• The facilities provided to the PIB accredited journalists under CGHS was liberalized by the Government of India
• National Rifle Association of India elected Raninder Singh as President and D.V.S. Rao as the new Secretary General.
• A 2 day International Workshop on Green National Accounting for India Concluded in New Delhi
7 April 2013
• The medium range nuclear capable Agni-II missile was successfully test-fired with a strike range of more than 2000 km from the Wheeler Island.
• On the occasion of World Health Day, State Government of Rajasthan introduced a scheme of free essential diagnostic tests in government hospitals.
• Rupesh Shah, the world champion won the 12th Asian Billiards championship at Indore Tennis Club, Indore.