India This Week: 14 January-20 January 2013
India this week helps student to understand the happenings in and around the country...
India this week helps student to understand the happenings in and around the country. For a better grasp of current affairs happening in India for the week refer to this category in Jagran Josh.com.
14 January 2013
• The Health Ministers of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) in January 2013 decided to set up a Technical Working Group (TWG)
• The Indian and Pakistani armies held Brigade Commander-level flag meeting at Chakan-Da-Bagh in Poonch district in Jammu and Kashmir
• Indian-origin Halimah Yacob (58) became the first woman and the 9th Speaker of the Singapore Parliament. She replaced Michael Palmer.
15 January 2013
• Manmohan Singh elected Kamal Nath, the Union Minister for Urban Development and Parliamentary Affairs, as a leader of Indian delegation for World Economic Forum 2013.
• Mahindra Satyam signed an agreement with the Japanese firm TechMatrix Corporation digging at business opportunities in the healthcare market.
• The Supreme Court of India ordered that constructing religious structures and statues on the public land was banned.
16 January 2013
• The Japanese automaker Toyota Kirloskar Motor launched a five-speed automatic version of the Fortuner SUV for 22.33 lakh rupees in the Indian Market.
• The Law Ministry approved 80 crore Rupees for recruiting 2000 additional judges in the country for the fast track courts.
17 January 2013
• Air India grounded all six Boeing 787 dreamliners after US federal agency asked its airlines to ground the Boeing 787 due to safety hazard.
• Saina Nehwal regained the number 2 position in the latest rankings released by the Badminton World Federation.
• Government Telecom Service Provider MTNL launched its video telephony service in Delhi and Mumbai
18 January 2013
• Online Marketplace Snapdeal.com tied up with Mahindra & Mahindra for selling of its two-wheelers to customers on the site.
• President’s Rule was imposed on Jharkhand after the Union Cabinet approved its imposition.
• SC on 18 January 2012 asked the Union Government to set-up a Special Court for trial of the Italian Marines. Duo is convicted of shooting two fishermen.
19 January 2013
• Online Marketplace Snapdeal.com on 18 January 2013 tied up with Mahindra & Mahindra for selling of its two-wheelers to customers on the site.
20 January 2013
• The Government of India has increased the import duty on platinum and gold from 4 percent to 6 percent.
• Thirty one endangered Black Bucks were devoured by the stray dogs on 19 January 2013 at Kanpur Zoo.
• Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 20 Jan. 2013 inaugurated Ghat Ki Guni tunnel at Jaipur. The tunnel connects jaipur with NH-11.