Any aspirant or candidates preparing for any competitive exam can take the aid of India this Week section. The section has been especially tailor made to help candidates in revising the important current affairs in an effective manner. The section covers all the important headlines of current events that happened in India in the week of 16 December 2013 to 22 December 2013.
16 December 2013
• The Union Cabinet approves the Prevention of Communal Violence Bill 2013. The bill aims to prevent and tackle communal violence in the country.
• Squash player Mahesh Mangaonkar wins the IMET Open 2013 in the Slovakian capital Bratislava. He is the first Indian squash player to win the IMET Open.
17 December 2013
• Supreme Court rules that government’s prior sanction is not required to probe a public servant in the corruption cases monitored by the court.
• The Inflation in India reaches 7.52 percent, the highest in 14 months since September 2012.
• India wins the boy’s and girl’s team titles in the Asia-Pacific junior golf championship at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club (RCGC). It was India’s first ever victory in the Asia Pacific Junior Golf Championship.
18 December 2013
• Lok Sabha passes the Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill, 2013 with voice vote.
• Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Japan’s Central bank, Bank of Japan, decides to enhance the bilateral currency swap arrangement from 15 billion dollars to 50 billion dollars.
• Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its mid-quarter Monetary Policy Review has kept the repo rate unchanged at 7.75%.
• Cricketer Kapil Dev, the Former Captain and legendary All-rounder, selected for the BCCI’s prestigious Col. CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement award for the year 2013.
19 December 2013
• The Cabinet Committee on Skill Development approves the National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF).
• The Cabinet approves free trade agreement between India and the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) allows state-owned Coal India Ltd (CIL) to pump methane gas trapped in coal seams of its existing mines.
• The Election Commission recognizes Aam Aadmi Party as a State Party and reserved symbol of broom.
20 December 2013
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approves the sale of Natural Gas from D1 and D3 Gas fields at revised prices on the basis of Bank Guarantee.
• IRCON International Limited receives the prestigious India Pride Awards for Excellence in Central PSUs in India Image Enhancement.
• United Nations felicitates Odisha Government for effectively handling Cyclone Phailin.
21 December 2013
• Sri City in Andhra Pradesh to have PepsiCo’s largest beverage plant in India.
22 December 2013
• Subrahmanyam Jaishankar takes charge as the Ambassador of the US. He succeeds Nirupama Rao.
• Pran Chopra, the veteran journalist and first editor of The Statesman, died. He was 92.
• Zaheer Khan becomes the fourth Indian bowler to claim 300 wickets in Test Cricket. Jacques Kallis was his 300th wicket.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.