India this week is a section dedicated to get a brief insight of latest happenings in India. This section will enable students in understanding about the major incidences and happenings that kept everyone engrossed. By reading the India This Week section, students can easily and quickly grasp the happenings at the national level.
18 March 2013
• 60th National Film Awards Announced; Irrfan Khan Won Best Actor Award for Paan Singh Tomar
• S. Venkata Mohan a scientist of the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology won the National Bioscience Award for 2012.
• The Union Government approved a bill that is directed towards providing access to all central and state government services.
19 March 2013
• Hamid Ansari released a book titled The First Woman President of India, Reinventing leadership, Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil.
• Union Government approved changes in a proposed legislation according to which accepting or giving bribe by foreign public officials is a criminal offence.
• The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill 2013 was passed in the Lok Sabha on 19 March 2013. Now the bill will be the tabled in the Rajya Sabha.
20 March 2013
• The Union Cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the National Food Security Bill.
• Bhaichung Bhutia, the former India captain of the football team was appointed as the chairman of the All India Football Federation’s technical committee.
• India successfully test fired its submarine-launched version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile of the over 290 km-range in the Bay of Bengal
21 March 2013
• The Supreme Court of India, sentenced Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt to 5 years jail in connection with 1993 Mumbai bombing.
• Baba Kalyani, the Chairman and MD of Bharat Forge Limited was nominated as the Chairman of India-Japan Business Leader’s Forum (IJBLF).
22 March 2013
• Standards of Quality of Service (Duration of Advertisements in Television Channels) Amendment Regulations: 2013 was notified by TRAI
• Three High Courts opened in Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya
23 March 2013
• Nikhil Kumar on 23 March 2013 took oath of the office and secrecy as the Governor of Kerala at Raj Bhawan.
• Earth Hour was observed across India
24 March 2013
• Navneet Kaur Dhillon was crowned Pond’s Femina Miss India 2013 in the grand finale of 50th edition of the beauty pageant in Mumbai.
• The CCI was nominated for the Global Competition Review (GCR) Awards 2013 in the category Agency of the Year-Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa.