India This Week: 20 May-26 May 2013
In this section of India this week, students will come across various happenings in India throughout the week...
In this section of India this week, students will come across various happenings in India throughout the week. By reading this, the students will be able to know about the different events of the week, which in turn will help them prepare for the competitive exams.
20 May 2013
• Union Cabinet approved the Special Recruitment Drive to fill the backlog of reserved vacancies of SCs, STs and OBCs.
• P Sabita Reddy and D Prasada Rao, the State Cabinet Ministers of Andhra Pradesh charged in the YS Jaganmohan Reddy's disproportionate assets case resigned.
21 May 2013
• The findings of the ACI survey gave the Chennai Airport an Airport Service Quality (ASQ) rating of 3.21 out of five for the year 2012.
• Vyas Samman for 2011 and 2012 were conferred to Prof. Ramdarash Mishra and Dr Narendra Kohli for their works Aam ke Patte and Na Bhooto Na Bhavishyati.
22 May 2013
• India on 22 May 2013 successfully test fired the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
• Chief Minister of Kerala, Oommen Chandy won United Nation's Public Service Award for his Mass Contact Programme.
• The Union Cabinet of India, approved to classify Malayalam as the Classical Language.
23 May 2013
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the proposal for the implementation of National AIDS Control Support Project.
• President of India conferred the 47th Jnanpith Award for the year 2011 on Pratibha Ray at Balyogi Auditorium in New Delhi.
24 May 2013
• Government has decided to set up teacher training institutes at block level across eight teacher deficit states of India under 12th Plan.
• Supreme Court held that a life convict cannot claim to have a right to be released after spending 14 years behind the bars.
25 May 2013
• Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) inaugurated three new Aadhaar-enabled services to help residents.
• Union Government plans to roll out a 43000-crore rupees green energy corridor project to facilitate the flow of renewable energy into the national grid.
26 May 2013
• TRAI issued The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference (Twelfth Amendment) Regulations, 2013.
• Indian telecom sector became the second largest telephone network in the world, after China by registering exceptional growth during last nine years.
• Defence Ministry inaugurated the first fighter aircraft base at Thanjavur