India this Week section presents the important current affairs of the week 30 December 2013 to 5 January 2014. The section will help the candidates in keeping themselves updated with the current events in India in an easier manner. The section provides the important events of the week in one to two lines with the objective to aid the students in effectively revising the current affairs just prior to giving an exam.
31 December 2013
• Mammen Mathew, the Chief Editor and Managing Director of Malayala Manorma has been chosen for prestigious journalism award instituted by a trust founded by Lokamanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
• The Government of India issues food safety and hygiene guidelines to prevent contamination of supplementary nutrition provided to pregnant women and children.
30 December 2013
• According to the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), Jawahar Lal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) scheme has improved key indicators of urban life in India and it reached the poorest of poor.
• Sashi Tharoor, the Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development named as the Person of the Year by the animal rights body PETA – India for taking steps to advance animal protection.
• Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released its 8th Financial Stability Report (FSR) highlighting the spectre of rising Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) and its consequences.
1 January 2014
• India scrapped the 3600 crore rupees deal with with the Anglo-Italian firm AgustaWestland for the supply of 12 VVIP helicopter.
• Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India, gave his assent to the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2013.
• Southern Grid of India has been synchronously connected with the grids of the country successfully accomplishing the mission of ‘One Nation - One Grid - One Frequency.
2 January 2014
• Union Government approved installation of CCTV and GPS on public transport vehicles in 32 cities for safety of women.
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved an increase of 100 rupees in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) of TD-5 variety of raw Jute for 2014-15.
• Union Government approved amendments in the Mega Power Policy 2009 so as to clear the road blocks in the realization of provisional Mega Power projects.
• Indian credit-rating agency CRISIL launched Financial Inclusix Index 2013. The index showed an improvement of 2.7% in the financial inclusion in India.
3 January 2014
• Justice (retd) AK Ganguly, the Chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) resigned from the post of the honorary professor of the National University of Juridicial Sciences (NUJS). The resignation came after the Union Cabinet nod for Presidential reference under Article 143 of the Constitution.
• MS Dhir, an MLA of Aam Aadmi Party, is elected as the Speaker of the Delhi Legislative Assembly.
• Merger & Acquisitions (M & A) in the India economy declined by 11.5% in the year 2013: Thomson Reuters.
4 January 2014
• R. Chandrashekhar appointed as President of National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM).
• Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh launched the total E-literacy project to be implemented by PN Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra in Thiruvanathpuram.
5 January 2014
• Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched its heavy-duty rocket GSLV-D5, powered by indigenously developed cryogenic engine, for placing communication satellite GSAT-14 into the orbit.
• INS Mhadei of Indian Navy to carry an all-woman crew for the first time for circumnavigating the globe as a part of training.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.