The first BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2017 (BIMSTEC DMEx-2017) will be conducted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency from 10 October to 13 October 2017.
The Exercise will be conducted in the National Capital Region (NCR).
This Exercise will serve as a platform for sharing best practices on all aspects of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), strengthening regional response and coordination for Disaster Management among the BIMSTEC member countries.
It was decided at the 17th BIMSTEC Senior Officials Meeting held in Kathmandu, Nepal on 7 February 2017 that India would organize the first annual Disaster Management Exercise for the region.
• Delegates from all seven nations of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) grouping, namely Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand, will participate in the event.
• The main focus of the BIMSTEC DMEx-2017 will be on testing the region’s preparedness and resilience towards effective activation of inter-Governmental interaction/dialogue/agreements for immediate deployment of regional resources for disaster response.
• The BIMSTEC DMEx-2017 will be conducted in two phases in Delhi and NCR.
• The main exercise will comprise of Table Top Exercise (TTX), Field Training Exercise (FTX) and After Action Review (AAR) which is scheduled for 10 October to 13 October 2017.
• It will help create synergy and synchronize efforts to institutionalize regional cooperation among the member countries.
• The exercise will help strengthen the effective utilization of the search & rescue teams for disaster relief & emergency response, including emergency rapid assessment teams and management of mass casualties especially in situations involving breakdown of infrastructure and communication.
• At the end of the four-day Exercise, a publication will be brought out on the outcomes and recommendations of the joint/common exercise and include agreement among BIMSTEC Nations on regional cooperation for Disaster Management and Emergency Response.