India will host the 42nd World Bridge Championships that will be held in Chennai from 26 September 2015 to 10 October 2015. The information was announced by Bridge Federation of India (BFI) president N R Kirubakaramoorthy on 7 January 2015.
It is for the first time that World Bridge Championships are being held in Asia. This year, 660 players from 66 teams representing over 40 countries will take part in the 15-day long event.
India comes under Asia and Middle East zone which is consist of 14 countries. This zone has two qualifiers for the World Bridge Championships. As India has got the direct entry, only one qualifying slot is left from this zone.
World Bridge Championships
• The World Bridge Championships consist of several sets of championships organized under the World Bridge Federation.
• The World Bridge Championships are contested at every odd-numbered year.
• It is comprised of three events including Bermuda Bowl trophy in the open category, Venice Cup for Women teams and D'Orsi Trophy for seniors (above 60 years) and Transnational Open teams.
• The World Transnational Open Team Championship was added to the program in 1997.
• The first World Bridge Championship was held in 1950 in Bermuda. In 2013, the 41st World Bridge Championship was held in Bali, Indonesia.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.