India, USA signed MoU for collaboration in third world countries
The MoU will help both the countries in synchronizing their developmental activities in third world countries.
India and the USA on 14 January 2017 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for collaboration in third world countries.
The MoU was signed between the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and Development Partnership Administration (DPA) of the Union Ministry of External Affairs in Washington DC.
Highlights of the MoU
• The MoU facilitates bilateral cooperation between India and the USA for exchange of information and experience in sectors pertaining to project development in partner countries.
• Under the MoU, both the countries will provide technical assistance to third countries regarding policy reform, project and sector management, project implementation and economic growth promotion strategies.
The bilateral MoU is a part of the series of agreements that were signed by India to engage with the USA in a pro-active manner. Some of the agreements signed between India and the USA in recent years are –
• In January 2017, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and the US-CERT to facilitate closer cooperation in the field of cyber security.
• In December 2016, India signed a Rs 5000 crore defence deal with the USA to buy 145 M-777 Ultra-Light Howitzers under the Foreign Military Sales Programme.
• In August 2016, both the countries signed the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA). The LEMOA will enable both countries to use each other’s bases for repair and replenishment of defence supplies.
• In July 2016, a bilateral agreement was signed by both the countries. The agreement allows India to purchase four Poseidon-8I (P8I) long-range maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircrafts from the USA.
• In July 2016, six bilateral agreements were signed after summit level talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama to enhance cooperation in a wide range of areas including anti-terrorist operations and wildlife conservation.