India’s special athletes won 73 medals in the 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games. The games were held between 18 March and 25 March 2017 in Austria.
India’s performance in 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games
• India dominated in three team events - Floor Hockey (male), Unified Floorball and Traditional Floorball.
• Cumulatively, Indian athletes won 30 medals in these three games, which was also the highest tally in a single day. Along with this, the special women team also won 16 bronze medals.
• An important gold medal came in the Unified Floorball (Male) event, where India defeated Nigeria, while the Floor Hockey team crushed Lithuania 7-2.
• At the end of the tournament, India took its tally to 73 medals by winning 8-0 against Austria.
• India also won 10 medals in Alpine skiing, including 3 gold, 3 silver and 4 bronze medals.
• The snowboarding team bagged 8 medals that included 4 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals.
• 5 more medals came in Snow Shoeing and 4 medals were won in Speed and figure skating.
• In the process, Himachal’s Megha became the first Indian to win a gold medal in the games.
About 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games
• It included seven disciplines including Alpine Skiing, Snow Boarding, Snow Shoeing, Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Floor Hockey and Floor Ball (and Unified floor Ball).
• It witnessed 2,600 athletes from over 105 countries competing with each other.
• The games were held in four cities of Austria, namely, Graz, Schladming, Styria and Ramsau.
• While the opening ceremony was held at Planai Stadium in Schladming, the closing ceremony was held at Merkur Arena in Graz.
• Besides the competitions, the event included culture and art programs, health programs, symposia and congresses.
Who: India won 73 medals
When: 18-25 March 2017