India on 1 September 2015 won the three-match cricket test series against Sri Lanka, 2-1. In the third and final match of the series, India defeated the host with an emphatic 117-run.
With this win, India also ended a 22-year long drought of a win over Sri Lanka on Sri Lankan soil.
1st Test: Played at Galle International Stadium, Galle between 12 August and 15 August 2015. Sri Lanka won the match by 63 runs. Dinesh Chandimal of Sri Lanka was declared Player of the match.
2nd Test: Played at P Saravanamuttu Stadium, Colombo between 20 August and 24 August 2015. India won the match by 278 runs. Kannaur Lokesh Rahul of India was declared Player of the match.
3rd Test: Played at Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo between 28 August and 1 September 2015. India won the match by 117 runs. Cheteshwar Pujara of India was declared Player of the match. The match also saw test debut of two players namely Naman Ojha of India and Kusal Perera of Sri Lanka.
• Player of the series - Ravichandran Ashwin of India
Some other facts of the series
• 135-run partnership between Captain Angelo Mathews and debutant Kushal Perera in the third test, is the second-highest stand in the fourth innings in Sri Lanka's Test history.
• It was Virat Kohli's first test series win as a Test captain
• The first match at Galle saw the batting collapse of young Indian side in the fourth innings on Independence Day after being in total control for most of that match.
• The second match will be remembered for being the last Test of Kumara Sangakkara, the gentleman cricketer from Sri Lanka, and a role model for many around the world.
• India won a memorable series victory in Sri Lanka after a gap of 22 years.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 1 September 2015