A documentary film, Silent Screams – India’s Fight Against Rape directed by Pria Somiah on 9 May 2014 won three awards at the 2014 New York Festivals International TV and Film Awards. The three awards includes
• Gold World Medal for 'Best Investigative Report'
• Two Bronze Gold Medals each in the Current Affairs and Human Concerns sections respectively
The film is about politics of rape in India and was written by Manira A Pinto. The documentary was produced by Miditech for Channel NewsAsia.
The documentary tells the story of the brutal Delhi gang-rape of the 23-year-old paramedical student, Nirbhaya on 16 December 2012. Documentary also depicts the subsequent rise up of the people across the country to express their shock and outrage. Nirbahaya is the name was given to the girl by the media, who died few days after the rape
Apart from this, the film also investigates the rape case of a 15-year old girl.
Earlier, the story has won the Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union – Perspective Award 2013 in Hanoi. It has also been screened at the
• Mumbai Women’s International Film Festival 2013
• Mountain Echo’s Festival in Bhutan
• As well as in different colleges, NGOs and legal aid organisations across the world
When: 9 May 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.