Indian forward S V Sunil on 30 March 2017 was named the Asian Player of the Year 2016 by the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF).
On the other hand, drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh was named the Asian Promising Player of the Year.
Sunil played a vital role in India's successful outing at the FIH Champions Trophy in London where the team grabbed a silver medal.
While Harmanpreet won the award in the junior men's category, Sunil has been honoured in the senior men's section.
About S V Sunil
• Born on 6 May 1989, Somwarpet Vittalacharya Sunil is an Indian professional field hockey player.
• He made his senior international debut in the 2007 Asia Cup in Chennai.
• He was also a part of the team that won the silver at the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2008.
• In the 2011 Champion's Challenge, he scored four goals, the most by an Indian forward.
• He is regarded as one of the fastest player in the game.
• In the 2016 Champions Trophy, in which the Indian team managed to win silver medal for the first time, he scored some vital goals and made others for his strikers.
• In the inaugural auctions of the Hockey India League, he was bought by the Punjab franchise for USD 42000.
When: 30 March 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.