Two Indian organizations Indian Army and Indian Railways are among the world's biggest employers, together employing around 2.7 million people, as per a research published by the World Economic Forum on 17 June 2015.
Indian Railways was ranked at the eighth place in the list of world's biggest employers with 1.4 million staff. Immediately after Indian Railways is the Indian Armed Forces with 1.3 million people.
Highlights of the Report
• The US department of defense is the world's biggest employer which claims over 3.2 million employees on its roster.
• On the second position is People's Liberation Army (the Chinese military) with 2.3 million and in third is the US supermarket giant Walmart with 2.1 million workers.
• McDonald's is the 4th biggest employer with 1.9 million employees, however, as the majority of its restaurants are franchises.
• UK's National Health Service was ranked at the 5th place with 1.7 million employees, followed by state-run China National Petroleum Corporation with 1.6 million employees in sixth place.
• Another Chinese company, the State Grid Corporation of China was ranked at 7th place with 1.5 million employees.
• Hon Hai Precision Factory (Foxconn) came at 10th place with 1.2 million people.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App