Indian Railways launches Yatri Mitra Sewa for elderly, differently-abled
It can be availed at the time of online booking of tickets by calling or messaging 139 or by simply dialling a dedicated mobile phone number to be activated for the purpose.
Indian Railways on 19 September 2016 launched Yatri Mitra Sewa to facilitate access to wheelchairs, battery operated cars and porter services. The service was launched to make rail travel comfortable for elderly, differently-abled and ailing travelers.
Highlights of the Yatri Mitra Sewa
• Yatri Mitra or Passenger Friend service can be an assistant or any other person nominated for the purpose.
• The service will be available at major railway stations across the country.
• It can be availed at the time of online booking of tickets by calling or messaging 139 or by simply dialling a dedicated mobile phone number to be activated for the purpose.
• Passengers can also access the Mobile app to avail the service in the future. The App will be developed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
• Once the service is booked, the IRCTC will ensure the Yatri Mitra receive the passenger at the entrance of the station and help in boarding the train safely.
• The assistant will also be available at the coach when the passenger arrives at the designated railway station.
The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) was mandated to implement the service which may provide Yatri Mitra Sewa free of cost by involving some NGO, charitable trust, PSUs under the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) category.
But, if the service cannot be provided free of cost due to lack of response, then the IRCTC may arrange this service on reasonable and affordable charges through a service provider or on its own.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App