Indian tennis star Sania Mirza appointed as Brand Ambassador of Telangana
Indian tennis star Sania Mirza was appointment as Brand Ambassador of Telangana on 22 July 2014.
Indian tennis star Sania Mirza was appointment as Brand Ambassador of Telangana on 22 July 2014. Sania Mirza will promote the new state’s interests in India and abroad.
The letter of appointment and a cheque of one crore rupees was handed over to Sania Mirza by the Chief Minister of Telangana K Chandrasekhar Rao in Hyderabad.
About Sania Mirza
- Born in Mumbai on 15 November 1986 and brought up in Hyderabad, she turned Pro in 2003
- She is the highest ranked female tennis player ever from India, with a career high ranking of 27 in singles and 5 in doubles
- She is the first Indian woman to win a WTA title. She won it at Hyderabad in 2005.
- She also is the first Indian woman to reach Round 3 of a Grand Slam at Australian Open in 2005
- She is also first Indian woman to crack Top 50 in 2005
- She is the first Indian female player to surpass 1 million US dollars in career earnings
- In all she has won 20 WTA doubles titles
- She also has won two Grand Slams in mixed doubles, viz., Australian Open (2012) and French Open (2009). In both the finals she paired with Mahesh Bhupathi.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group