Indian women's hockey team on 5 November 2017 beat China 5-4 to win the Asia Cup 2017 title. The crucial final was held in Kakamigahara city in southern Gifu Prefecture, Japan.
With the victory, Team India has secured a berth for itself at the 2018 Hockey World Cup. This is the second time that India has claimed the top spot in the history of the tournament. The first time was 13 years ago in the year 2004.
Indian women's hockey team triumphs at Hockey Asia Cup 2017
• Both the teams were 1-1 at full time.
• Though India took the lead with Navjot Kaur scoring in the 25th minute, China’s Tiantian Luo converted a penalty corner to equalise the scoreboard in the 47th minute.
• In the penalty shootout Rani scored twice while Monica, Lilima Minz and Navjot scored a goal each.
• While Monika Malik won the Woman of the Match award, Savita Punia was adjudged Goalkeeper of the Tournament.
• Savita made a great save in sudden death to ensure India the 5-4 score in the penalty shootout.
• The team that came third in the tournament was South Korea, which defeated host nation Japan 1-0 earlier on the same day.
The Indian women’s team’s victory in the Asia Cup closely follows the victory of the men's side last month in Dhaka, Bangladesh.