Indian-American Dr Vijay M Rao was named as the chairperson of the prestigious Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Board of Directors on 2 December 2015.
As the chairperson at RSNA, Dr Rao brings her expertise in health services and policy matters to bear in a shifting healthcare landscape of increasing complexity and declining reimbursements.
At the time of appointment in RSNA, Dr Rao was the David C Levin Professor and Chairperson of Radiology at Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University.
About Dr Vijay M Rao
• She is a graduate of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences.
• She remained on the faculty at Jefferson ever since completing her residency there in 1978.
• She was appointed associate chair for education in 1989 and vice chair for education in 2000.
• In 2002, she became the first woman chair of a clinical department in Jefferson’s history.
• She had served on the editorial boards of multiple journals and published more than 200 papers, 250 abstracts in medical literature, and a dozen book chapters.
• She co-edited MRI and CT Atlas of Correlative Imaging in Otolaryngology, the oldest medical speciality in the United States.
• She is a sought-after lecturer and educator and has made nearly 350 scientific presentations at meetings worldwide.
• She has served in committee or leadership roles in a number of major radiologic organizations including the American Society of Neuroradiology and American College of Radiology and regional organizations.
• She has served as president of the American Society of Head and Neck Radiology, the American Association for Women Radiologists, and the Association of Program Directors in Radiology.
• She has received numerous prestigious awards and they includes
a) In 2006, she received the Achievement Award from the Association of Program Directors.
b) In 2014, she received the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award from the American Association of Women radiologists and the Gold Medal Award from the Association of University Radiologists.
c) She served on the editorial boards of several radiology journals including Academic Radiology, the Journal of the American College of Radiology and the American Journal of Roentgenology.
d) In 2005, she was honored by the Philadelphia Business Journal as one of 25 Women of Distinction throughout the region.
e) She has been chosen consistently by her peers as a Top Doctor in Radiology for several consecutive years, listed in Philadelphia Magazine.
Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
The Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) is an international society of radiologists, medical physicists and other medical professionals with more than 54000 members from 136 countries across the globe.
RSNA hosts the world’s premier radiology forum, drawing approximately 55000 attendees annually to McCormick Place in Chicago, and publishes two top peer-reviewed journals: Radiology, the highest-impact scientific journal in the field, and RadioGraphics, the only journal dedicated to continuing education in radiology.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 2 December 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Union Government releases Analytical Report of National Health Profile 2018
Asian Para Games 2018: India records best-ever show with 72 medals
Sikkim wins FAO's Future Policy Award 2018 for being world's first 100 percent organic state
Indian Navy inducts first deep submergence rescue vessel to rescue distressed submarines