Indian American Professor Emeritus R. Paul Singh was named for the GCHERA World Agriculture Prize 2015. GCHERA stands for Global Confederation for Higher Education Associations for Agriculture and Life Sciences.
The award was announced at the annual GCHERA conference, held on 24 June 2015 at the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik, Jounieh, Lebanon. The award will be officially presented on 20 September 2015 during the GCHERA World Agricultural Prize Award Ceremony that will take place at Nanjing Agricultural University, China.
The award will be given in recognition of Singh’s lifetime contributions to food engineering research, education, development, consulting, and technology transfer.
Paul, who holds dual positions in the departments of Biological and Agricultural Engineering and of Food Science and Technology at University of California Davis, is a world-renowned food scientist and agricultural engineer.
He was responsible for creating food-processing equipment for a manned mission to MARS under a NASA contract.
Some major points of his agricultural engineering includes
• Paul’s efforts helped to convert the substantial research results from laboratory to industrial practice. His studies on food freezing led to the development of computer software that is now used by operators of industrial freezers for improving energy efficiency. The software is distributed worldwide by the World Food Logistics Organization.
• His research on heat transfer during frying led to the improved design and operation of grills and fryers used by restaurants and food service operators.
• His fundamental studies on airflow in complex systems helped design innovative systems for rapid cooling of strawberries.
• His research studies for the Department of Defence on improved biosensors provided the much-needed data for improving food inventory management and shelf life of perishable foods.
• His food engineering education, helped to establish and evaluate food engineering programs at institutions in Brazil, Chile, China, and India among others.
• His joint authored textbook Introduction to Food Engineering, 5th Edition (Elsevier Publishers) is the standard for food science and technology curricula throughout the world and is now available in five languages (Spanish, Russian, Korean, Chinese and Turkish).
GCHERA is the Global Confederation of Higher Education Associations for the Agricultural and Life Sciences. The Confederation is a not for profit organisation registered in France at the office of AGREENIUM, Paris.
This Confederation was first conceived as the GCHERA in 1998 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of National Agrarian University, Ukraine (now – National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine) as a consortium of individual universities.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 24 June 2015