Dubai has activated its visa-on- arrival facility for Indian nationals holding a valid US visa or a green card. The first Indian national to avail the new facility arrived in the city on 1 May 2017.
The Indian national’s arrival was announced by Dubai’s General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs through a post that had the picture of the passenger on the department’s official Instagram handle.
• The decision to grant Indian passport holders having either a valid US visa or green card a visa-on-arrival facility was approved by the UAE Cabinet in March 2017.
• The facility was approved to be activated from 1 May. A circular regarding the same was given to all UAE borders points, including airports and ports.
• The decision will allow ordinary passport holders from India with a US visa or green card with a minimum six-month validity to enter the country from any point for a period of 14 days.
• The national would be given an option of a one-time extension of the same period.
• The move comes within the framework of India and UAE’s long-standing strategic partnership on the promotion of political, economic and trade interests between the two countries.
India –UAE Relations
• India is UAE’s second largest trade partner with bilateral trade between the two countries exceeding USD 60 billion a year.
• While UAE’s exports to India amount to about USD 27 billion a year, Indian exports to UAE amount to around USD 33 billion.
• The two countries also enjoy historic ties, as almost 2.5 million Indian migrant workers reside in the oil-rich state.
• Indians also form the largest ethnic group in the UAE, making up roughly 27 per cent of the total UAE’s residents.
• These migrant workers have over the years made significant economic contribution to India by transferring billions of dollars to their families living in the country.
• Over 143 flights ply daily between the cities of the two countries with at least one flight every 10 minutes and around 1000 flights in a week.
• In 2016, the number of Indians visiting the UAE reached around 1.6 million and about 50,000 tourists from UAE visited India.