Fast Attack Craft INS Tarmugli was on 23 May 2016 commissioned into Indian Navy today by Vice Admiral HCS Bisht, AVSM, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam.
INS Tarmugli will be based in Visakhapatnam under the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Andhra Pradesh) and will be deployed for coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.
About INS Tarmugli
• Built by M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE), INS Tarmugli is the first Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC).
• Named after a picturesque island in the Andaman group, the 320-tonne INS Tarmugli, measuring 48 meters in length, can achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
• The ship is manned by a team comprising four officers and 41 sailors with Commander Sreejith S Nair at the helm as Commanding Officer.
• It is capable of operating in shallow waters at high speeds and is equipped with enhanced fire power.
• Built for extended coastal and offshore surveillance and patrol, the warship is fitted with advanced MTU engines, water jet propulsion and the latest communication equipment.
• The ships armament consists of a 30 mm CRN 91 gun manufactured by Ordnance Factory Medak. The gun is controlled by Stabilised Optronic Pedestal (SOP) manufactured by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
• The ship is also equipped with two 12.7 mm heavy machine guns (HMG) and multiple medium machine guns, besides shoulder-launched Igla surface-to-air missiles to combat aerial threats.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.