27 January: International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust
International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust was observed on 27 January 2016 across the world. The day was proclaimed so by the United Nations General Assembly.
The theme for the Holocaust remembrance and education activities in the year 2016 including the Holocaust Memorial Ceremony is The Holocaust and Human Dignity.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) celebrate the day every year.
The day marks the anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi German Concentration and Extermination Camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau by the Soviet troops in 1945.
• UNESCO believed that it is necessary to learn about the history of the Holocaust.
• To have a better understanding of the causes of societies descent into genocide.
• To raise awareness about the need to nurture peace and human rights.
• To prevent mass violence in present world.
• The International Day is an opportunity to reach out to Member States and the public at large in a common endeavour to commemorate the victims and their legacy and in a global effort.
• It would alert young generations about the dangers of racist and fanatic ideologies.
• It was a defining moment in the history of humanity and was driven by a fundamentally racist ideology.
• The Nazi regime and its allies systematically murdered about six million Jewish men, women and children during the World War II, in a continent-wide programme of destruction of all Jewish communities that would fall within its grasp.
• It persecuted and killed millions of other people like Roma and Sinti because of political, ideological or behavioural reasons and also killed some of the Slavic and the disabled people because they were considered as racially inferior.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 27 January 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.