The Union Government on 18 November 2016 announced the appointment of Jagdish Singh Khehar as the Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
Khehar, a judge of the Supreme Court, will succeed Anil R. Dave.
About National Legal Services Authority
• The National Legal Services Authority of India was formed on 5 December 1995.
• It was instituted under the authority of the Legal Services Authorities Act 1987.
• Its purpose is to provide free legal services to eligible candidates and to organize Lok Adalats for speedy resolution of cases.
• The key objective of NALSA is speedy disposal of cases and reducing the burden of judiciary.
• The Chief Justice of India is patron-in-chief of NALSA while second senior most judge of Supreme Court of India is the Executive-Chairman.
• There is a provision for similar mechanism at state and district level also headed by Chief Justice of High Courts and Chief Judges of District courts respectively.
Who: Jagdish Singh Khehar
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.